Friday, March 1, 2013

New Pattern: Fiberoptic Dodecahedron Set

I finished the pattern for the Fiberoptic Dodecahedron, and it's now part of a set of designs available on my website at beadorigami.com.


The cornerstone of this set, the Fiberoptic Dodecahedron Pendant, came about as a variation of the Fiberoptic Duo Beaded Beads. However, the core of the pendant has such a complicated thread path compared to that of the beaded beads, so much so that I felt that it needed to be written out in its own pattern. In the course of designing this pendant, I also found that a matching beaded bead can be made from 11° and 8° seed beads, so I included the instructions for this beaded bead too.

The pendant is surprisingly sturdy, especially since it's completely hollow! Its holes are big too, at about 5 mm in diameter (you can drop a stream of 4 mm bicone crystals clear through it), so it can easily fit on beading wire, a chain, or a cord. But after a suggestion from Marcia DeCoster (her all-knowing bead wisdom truly knows no bounds), I've been experimenting with stringing them on silk ribbons:


Finally, I liked the little stars on each face of the pendant so much that I figured out how to make them into matching earrings! The instructions for the earrings complete the trio of designs in this pattern.


The complete pattern is for advanced beaders, although I included a ton of illustrations, so anyone familiar with reading beading patterns should be able to follow it. If you're new to using SuperDuos or other two-hole beads, you might want to try the Fiberoptic Duo Beaded Beads first before attempting the Fiberoptic Dodecahedron Pendant. Fortunately, this pattern does have something for everyone; the earrings are at the Advanced Beginning level!


The pattern for the Fiberoptic Dodecahedron Set is available exclusively at beadorigami.com if you'd like to make your own!

2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous pattern and so cleverly put together. There are so many facets to the pendant and I adore the earrings. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caron! I had a whole lot of fun designing this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...